Argentina as a global producer of fresh lemon
Argentine fresh lemon gains positions, after recovering a market such as the United States and targeting the European Union, Canada and Asia.
On the other hand, Argentina is the world’s leading processor of lemons and the main exporter of industrial products such as juices, pulp, essential oil and dehydrated peel. Compete with the United States, Spain, Mexico and Turkey.
Fresh Lemon production in Argentina: campaign 2017 – 2018
According to data from the Ministry of Agribusiness, Argentina achieved the second place in the world production of fresh lemon with 1.6 million tons, after Mexico, which reached almost 2.6 million tons.
Regarding foreign trade, the country is the fourth largest exporter after Mexico, Turkey and South Africa, with 270,000 tons, expecting an increase for the next campaign of 7 to 8%.
A detailed analysis of the sector shows that the main destinations for fresh lemon exports in 2017 were the European Union and Russia, while working to open new markets.
The true strength of the Argentine production of lemons is in the processing industry.
In fact, 75% of the production is industrialized, and Argentina is the main exporter of concentrated juice, essential lemon oil and dehydrated lemon peel. The latter represents 93% of all byproducts, while lemon oil is 6% of the total.
– Concentrated juice: it is used in the food industry as an acidifier and also in other industries.
– Dehydrated lemon peel: source of fibers and minerals, dehydrated for the extraction of pectin. It is used in the food industry, cosmetics and animal feed.
– Lemon essential oil: it is produced by distilling the juice emulsion obtained by pressing the whole fruit. It is used in the food industry and also for the manufacture of perfumes, cosmetics, personal hygiene products and cleaning.
The prospects for the Argentine lemon market are favorable due to improvements in product quality and increased production, together with the situation of the main competitors.
– United States: lower harvests in Arizona, the main producing area, will decrease the total production and exports of that country.
– Mexico: it will reach a record production of Lima due to the increase in the area sown, which would also increase consumption and exports.
– Spain and Turkey: they are experiencing a drop in production as a result of high temperatures and low rainfall, which also decreases exports.
According to the Ministry of Agribusiness of Argentina, the decline of the Turkish and Spanish market balances the production of Mexico and opens new opportunities for Argentina.
Argentina is positioned as one of the leading countries in the production of this citrus. However, buyers must know the characteristics of the product and the procedures of the companies in the market, since there are many varieties and not all are suitable for different uses.
In addition, the characteristics of the packaging and the knowledge of the intermediary company, of the legislation and the requirements of the countries of destination must be taken into account, both for industrial products and the entry of fresh lemon.
Look our product: Concentrated Lemon Juice
View our articule: Lemon: how is the market in which Argentina is a world leader